Geocent's Aerospace & Defense Engineering Sector offers exciting and challenging opportunities in the Space and Missile Defense Industry. Geocent employees across the country subscribe to the company's culture of focusing on results when serving our large, diverse group of clients nationwide.
Candidates for this position will have a minimum of 5 years relevant work experience.
This Drafting Engineer will support the NASA Space Launch System (SLS) Hardware-in-the-Loop (HWIL) labs at Marshall
Space Flight center in Huntsville Alabama. The HWIL labs include the System Integration and Test Facility (SITF),
Systems Integration Laboratory (SIL), and multiple Software Development Facilities (SDFs) used to verify the integrated
avionics and software systems for the SLS rocket. All of these labs include numerous complex real-time Software Models
integrated with purpose built Electrical/Avionics hardware mounted into internally designed structure to enabled detailed
simulation of the SLS rocket.
Work will be performed for the Avionics and Ground Systems Test Branch (ES53) of the SLS program at NASA’s
Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. This branch is responsible for maintenance, fabrication, integration,
operation, assembly, and testing of project hardware and software in support of the noted SLS labs.
This position’s primary responsibilities include:
- Generates 3D solid models of parts and assemblies to ensure proper form/fit/function.
- Create, check and maintain design documentation for engineering designs. This includes, but is not limited to,
preparation of design layouts and/or preliminary conceptual design layouts. Interpret engineering models and drawings
and perform tolerance studies.
- Design documentation drawings include (but not limited to) 1) Structures for mounting electrical/electronic equipment, 2)
computer equipment assemblies, 3) facility assemblies (inclusive of mounting structures and computer equipment), and 4)
Cable Interconnect drawings.
- Prepare engineering product definition in accordance with ASME Y14.100 and related standards.
- Receive and implement redline changes to existing engineering drawings
- Ensure part masters and bill of material attributes are accurate and up-to-date
- Working with Configuration Management to release updated engineering drawings into the as-designed lab configuration
- Working with associated Systems Engineering (SE), Lab Operations, and Facility Architecture teams to ensure
responsive support to design needs
- Other responsibilities may be assigned as needed
Degree in Engineering or related field from an ABET-accredited university is required. Typically, educational requirements
are the equivalent of a minimum of a Masters with at least 3 years of experience, or BS with at least 5 years of
Requirements and Required Skills:
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience
- Proficient in 3D CAD design
- Strong written and oral technical communication skills – must be able to clearly define and describe a technical subject to
peers across various engineering disciplines.
- Strong task organization skills – ability to self-manage multiple tasks competing for time and attention, and achieve need
dates for all assigned tasks
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to perform all above identified Primary Responsibilities
Desired experience includes one or more of the following in order of significance:
- Knowledge of, and experience performing all above identified Primary Responsibilities
- Strong knowledge of engineering drawing standards and ability to use these standards in practice. Engineering drawing
- ASME Y14.24 – Types and Applications of Engineering Drawings
- ASME Y14.100 – Engineering Drawing Practices
- Configuration management of large systems
- Avionics Systems design, integration & test. Know how to read and interpret avionics architecture diagrams, cable
interconnect diagrams, and associated system schematics.
Due to this government contract, all candidates must be a US Citizen.