Geocent's Aerospace & Defense Engineering Sector offers exciting and challenging opportunities in the Space and Missile Defense Industry. Geocent employees across the country subscribe to the company's culture of focusing on results when serving our large, diverse group of clients nationwide.
This position will perform engineering and liaison
functions, providing interface between the SPIE Project Office and other SLSP, NASA, and Contractor organizations, for
requirements, verification and validation, drawings and schematics, specifications, ground operations procedures, and
- Provide systems engineering and interface integration support to the MSFC Systems Requirements, Verification &
Validation Branch, for Space Launch System (SLS) Integrated Spacecraft/Payload Integration Element (ISPE) design and
- Support performed includes, but is not limited to interface design definition, requirements development, and verification
- Perform technical analysis of processing requirements, such OMRS, WADs, and associated ground hardware for
nominal and off-nominal integrated operations from manufacturing, transportation, off-line and integrated ground
processing, stacking, test and checkout and launch. Coordinate with ground systems and Orion personnel to identify and
define ground operations processing requirements.
- Coordinate and interface with MSFC Customer, Spacecraft/Payload Integration & Evolution (SPIE), and SLS project
teams and payload customers as well as participating in reviews, meetings (i.e. team/discipline, TIMs, teleconferences,
etc.), working groups and trade studies.
- Coordinate with Safety and Mission Assurance (S&MA) to ensure any concerns or hazards identified with spacecraft or
payload ground operations processing are assessed and resolved/mitigated.
- Perform thorough technical assessments of proposed internal and external payload interface requirements to understand
the impacts imposed by modifications.
- Assist with the functional decomposition of interface requirements into verifiable requirements.
- Generate and coordinate interface requirements documentation to ensure the necessary and complete integration of the
payloads to other SLS Elements.
- Identify and communicate risks associated with interface requirements via the NASA Risk Management System.
- Manage analyses, trade studies, and decision packages developed for payloads and provide feedback and technical
recommendations (written and/or verbal) in support of the SPIE Element Chief Engineer or the Element Lead Systems
Engineer. Personnel may be asked to lead and/or support the following systems engineering tasks:
- Technical integration across multiple NASA Centers, diverse engineering and program/project organizations, and a
variety of engineering disciplines.
- Performance of critical mission event studies, process improvement studies, affordability improvement activities, or other
studies focused on improving overall element design, systems integration, systems operation or life cycle cost.
- Document and control of the integrated architecture through appropriate controlling documents and/or deliverables which
may include interface requirement/control documents, functional schematics, trade study reports, and other technical
Some travel to other NASA Centers and customer locations will be required (nominally 0 to 20%, depending on project
Personnel are required to be self-motivated, effective team players familiar with working in a dynamic work environment
who are willing to assume a Systems Integration role in this SLSP systems design and definition effort.
Degree in Engineering or related field from an ABET-accredited university is required. A BS with at least 10 years of
aerospace industry experience, with 5 years spacecraft and/or space payloads related and/or launch vehicle integration
or operations related experience is required. Typically, educational requirements are the equivalent of a Ph.D. with a
minimum 4 years of experience; Masters with at least 8 years of experience, or a BS with at least 10 years of experience.
- Experience with Systems Engineering as a discipline, to include development of requirements, requirement allocation,
and development of verification plans, verification objectives, verification matrices, and verification implementation.
- Experience in the development, integration, and implementation of complex aerospace/space systems.
- Experience in requirements, plans, and procedures development and experience in the execution of ground operations
for spacecraft or launch vehicle flight hardware and systems.
- An understanding of launch vehicle systems definition, functional requirement development, and/or design integration.
- Experience reading and working with engineering drawings, interface control documents, configuration documents, or
other technical documentation.
- Experience analyzing complex problems or issues, separating the topic into manageable pieces to facilitate resolution of
- Demonstrated skills, capabilities, and knowledge required to interface with program level representatives as well as
engineers and other technical personnel. This includes the ability to work with a team of diverse individuals, and reach
group consensus on technical topics.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, customer relation skills, and presentation skills are required.
- Intermediate skills using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook) are required.
Highly desired qualifications:
- Experience supporting payload integration or the development of payload integration requirements supporting the Space
Shuttle, ISS, or unmanned launch vehicles.
- Experience with NASA and/or MSFC spacecraft or launch vehicle development, processing, ground operations, and
ground support equipment.
- Experience in programmatic planning, monitoring, and control of efforts associated with payload mission integration.
- Experience in physical and functional integration of payload hardware into a spacecraft/launch vehicle
- Experience in the definition and documentation of payload design and interface requirements, payload accommodations
and payload services.
- Experience negotiating and coordinating top level integration agreements with payload developers and/or principal
Personnel with an understanding of the NASA systems engineering policies and procedures, and familiarity with the SLS
Program have preference.
Due to this government contract, all candidates must be a US Citizen.